School Based Traineeship

School-based apprenticeships and traineeships are frequently advertised on SEQTA, the CAVE can assist you in preparing your applications. Traineeships are regularly advertised in Engineering, Business & Logistics.

If you currently have a job working at KFC, Hungry Jack's, McDonald's or Salsa's, school based traineeships are readily embedded within your normal work hours.

For more information please read on below.

What are school-based apprenticeships and traineeships?

School-based apprenticeships and traineeships are certificate II and III programs approved by industry to kick-start your career. They give school students who are generally at least 15 years of age the opportunity to start a traineeship or an apprenticeship as part of their school program.

As a trainee or apprentice in one of these programs, you will go to school and, with the school’s approval, you and a guardian (if you are under 18) will sign a training contract with an employer in your chosen industry. This gives you the same employment and training conditions and responsibilities as other apprentices/trainees. The employer will pay you for the time you spend at work.

You will do some of your training at a TAFE or private training provider and some at work. You may complete your traineeship while at school, but most apprenticeships will be completed after you leave school.

What school-based apprenticeships and traineeships are available?

Many industries have approved apprenticeships and traineeships for school students. They include the manufacturing, electrical, construction, health, engineering, automotive, sport, hospitality, business, primary and food industries.

What will I get from a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship program?

When you do a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship, you will:

  • work and do your training for one or two days a week while still completing your Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) at school on the other days;
  • receive VET credit transfer towards your WACE for a completed certificate II or III traineeship or a partially completed certificate III apprenticeship or traineeship; and
  • have an industry approved pathway to further study or a job.

Who can do a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship?

You need to:

  • be a full time school student who is generally 15 years or older;
  • have support and agreement from your school to do the program;
  • meet any special requirements for employment and training in your chosen industry; and
  • be an Australian citizen or hold a relevant visa.

Will I have to pay for my school-based apprenticeship or traineeship?

You will not pay any fees for your school-based apprenticeship or traineeship training. You may have to buy uniforms, protective equipment, text books or trade equipment/tools required by your chosen industry. You may also have to pay for transport to get to work and home again on those days.

How can I find out more about school-based apprenticeships and traineeships?

The best place to start is with your school’s VET Coordinator Mrs Bartels. She will have the information you need and will help you to choose the training option that is best for you.